Monday, June 11, 2007

netziv quoting moreh nevuchim

I don't learn the Netziv on the parsha religiously (I usually end up having a glance at it because my edition is pretty small which makes for easy carrying in my bag) but this past week his comment on 'ki dvar Hashem bazah" (15:31) in the parsha on korban for avodah zarah caught my eye. He cites the Rambam in Moreh Nevuchim as explaining that the pasuk is not referring only to avodah zarah, but to any violation, even of a mitzvas aseh, done with the intent to anger G-d (l'hach'is), and not out of laziness or desire. I can't recall other places that the Netziv cites the Moreh - anyone out there recall other examples?

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much about the Netziv (or the Moreh, for that matter!) but are you asking this question because the Netziv is "supposed to be" against the Moreh, or are you just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am asking because the # of achronim who cite Moreh is extremely small, so it stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:43 PM

    the # of achronim who cite Moreh is extremely small, so it stands out
    What do you think the reason for that is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because there has not been much interest in medieval philosophy since the middle ages : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kuzari was always widely quoted and reffered to.

    ReplyDelete